Oh hi there!
Welcome to The Serial Blogger where I will be sharing tips and tricks to make blogging easier.
Phew. First post, lots of pressure. Coming up with the first post is by far one of the most stressful things for me because I just so many things I want to tell you. Even after being a part of the start of 5 blogs, writing my first blog post is my biggest block to blogging properly. Anyways. In this post, I want to share who I am, what you can expect from the blog and most importantly… what The Blog Challenge is.
I’ll start by introducing myself. I’m Jackie and I have a confession.
I am a serial blogger.
What is a serial blogger? A person who just keeps making new blogs (I also made up that term).
My track record so far is 5 blogs that I’ve been a part of since the beginning. I started with my nail art bog which became really successful (you’ll still find lots of my nail art all over Pinterest!). Then I was hired by my current company (where I’m a marketer) and was in charge of producing content for their blog. Fun fact – my nail art blog was the reason why I was hired in the first place. In a full year of blogging, I learned a lot about what it takes to create and manage blogging from a business perspective including technology, like SEO, and content. I also started my own personal blog where I share my love for photography, travel and food. Currently, I’m helping out a friend with her blog and have been working on a career blog via Medium. Yes. That’s 4 so far. And The Serial Blogger will make my 5th blog.
Why the Serial Blogger? And what is The Blog Challenge?
I’ll start with The Blog Challenge. The Blog Challenge was inspired by Hubspot‘s on-boarding process for all of their employees (Hubspot is a business marketing platform and pioneers of the inbound marketing process). When new employees join Hubspot, they all have to create and run a blog. Inspired by this idea, my marketing team has decided to try that, but with a twist.
Each of us will be starting a blog using any theme with some additional rules:
- Start the blog from scratch – you cannot use a previous blog that you’ve set up
- Maximum spend on the blog for the year is $50
- Every month we will be incorporating a wild-card task. Tasks can range from incorporating a theme into a blog post to creating a different type of content.
- No outside help (ex. no hiring a ghost writers)
We’ll also have a few different checkpoint winners:
- First to 100 subscribers
- First to get someone famous to comment / share blog or content / request an interview
- First to get revenue from the site
- First to have a piece of viral content
And voila, The Serial Blogger was born. I chose the name The Serial Blogger because honestly, that’s what I am! I enjoy sharing things I’ve learned and created making blogging the perfect medium for me. After working with 4 blogs already,
What can you expect from The Serial Blogger?
There’s a couple of other things you should know about me besides the fact that I’ve started a lot of blogs. First, everyone should have a blog. Second, I’m a scientist at heart. Third, blogging should be easy. Fourth, I follow a lot of blogs. So you can expect The Serial Blogger to be a combination of all three things.
On the Serial Blogger:
- I’ll be sharing everything I’ve learned about blogging so far. From setting up your blog to optimizing content for SEO to sharing content, everything I know now will be yours. The first series you can expect is the Getting Started with Blogging series of blog posts. I want help you start a blog and make it easy for you.
- I’ll be testing new things. In other words, things will break, act weird or look strange but everything I learn about blogging on The Serial Blogger will also be yours. You’ll find out what I’m doing in TSB Monthly Reports where I’ll share my progress and new initiatives that I’ve started with my blog.
- Results from other marketing campaigns that I’ve assisted on. You’ll find them in the Extra Projects series of blog posts.
- I’ve followed a lot of blogs, some when try just started and others at their peak so I’ll also be creating a blog series called Blog Case Study where I feature a blog, analyze why it’s successful (or going to be successful) and what we can learn from them.
Alright – that’s it for now! Be sure to check in every week for new content and projects that I’m working on!